A source rpm makes no entries to the rpm database, so rpm -q won't
display anything.

I have NO CLUE why Red Hat doesn't do this by default (they should) but
you don't want to install src.rpm's as root (or build them as root).

create a directory in your home directory called rpm
Within that directory put the necessary subdirectories:

rpm/SPECS
rpm/BUILD
rpm/SOURCES
rpm/SRPMS
rpm/RPMS/[i386,i486,i586,i686,athlon,noarch]
rpm/tmp

once those are created - create a file in your home directory called
.rpmmacros and put the following in it:

%_topdir    /home/you_user_name/rpm
%_tmppath %{_topdir}/tmp

That way - you can install src.rpm's and build rpm's without being root,
which is much safer to your system - especially if you are learning how
to program and messing with creating rpm's yourself.

--
Michael A. Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>