Did you load apache from the system install or did you download it from
apache and install it?  I've been assuming the former.  You can test php
itself by creating a console script as follows:

#!/usr/bin/php
<?php

echo "hello\n";

?>

save it as cmdtest.php
chmod +x cmdtest.php
./cmdtest.php

it should echo back hello.  If that works you may want to try and re-install
apache alone.  I know from having built several RH8 machines that they work
with PHP "out of the box" so I'm as confused as you at this point.  I can't
seem to put a finger on what could be happening.

Larry S. Brown
Dimension Networks, Inc.
(727) 723-8388