On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Mirabella, Mathew J wrote:

> btw.  why is it the case that i need the i386 source rpm.  when in
> fact i have used the i686 rpm for the kernel install itself. maybe i
> am wrong, but i imagine that the SRPMS contain the source for all
> archs including i686 and i386... etc. and the kernel source listed in
> the i386 would be the standard i386 one, with no source for
> optimisation to i686 (which is the basis for the binary that i have as
> the kernal now). ccan you please explain and correct me if i am wrong.

It should realy be a no-arch rpm, but that is what it is called.  You
actualy pick the cpu as one of the config options of the kernel.
Including a few options that you will not find rpms for.  If you want a
copy of the .config file RedHat used to build the kernel, look in the
configs directory.  The one you will want is probably
kernel-2.4.18-i686.config,  You will want to copy it to ../.config.

One other point - before you do anything else, run "make distclean" in
the /usr/src/linux-2.4 directory after you install the new source code.
For some reasion, the code as packaged by Redhat, at least on every
version or 2.4 I have installed the source for, will generate errors
when building modules if you do not run this.

Mikkel