Mifsud Raymond at MITTS wrote:
Have implimented redhat linux advanced server 2.1 on two P3 Xeon servers.
Occassionally the servers goes into a cycle of sudden slowdown in performance.
An indication is that this may be connected to the number of processors on the
machine. This is being said because one of the machines has two processors
whilst the other has four processors. Although both suffer degradation in
performance but in the two processors machine it is less of a problem than the
four processor machine.

It is important to note that swap area usge is constantly low.

Has anyone come across such a problem ?
Any help ?

When you install RedHat you are given a number of (dis-)services without you being asked, and it may be what is troubling you. One huge annoyance they insist on sticking into people's crontabs is a job that indexes all the files on your disks once a day or so. Go to /etc and look for crontab, cron.daily etc - in my cron.daily there is a file called slocate.cron which runs updatedb. Try disabling it - delete it, comment out the lines or whatever.

I really can't imagine why anybody can assume that this thing is of such general utility that it has to go on absolutely avery desktop machine and server. I personally don't search for files more than perhaps once a week at most, and find is more than adequate for that.

/jan