On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:28:37AM +1100, Darryl Harvey wrote:

> I have found that if you edit the entries in /etc/fstab and change from ext3
> to ext2, two things are still apparent.
>
> 1/. The journal file still resides on each partition.
> 2/. The journal module is still loaded and running
>
> So maybe tune2fs will stop these from occurring ??  Dunno...

Right. Mounting an ext3 FS as ext2 will NOT remove the journal. But
leaving the journal there is harmless, and allows you to remount it as
ext3 again later.

If you really want to downgrade from ext3 to ext2 and removal the journal,
then unmount the partition, and run:

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/whatever

--
Anand Buddhdev