Okay, then /dev/fd1 is definitely not the right device. Unplug your
pcmcia card. You should get a high beep. Then plug it back in. You
should get a similarly high beep (a low beep would indicate a problem).
Now go immediately to /var/log and:
tail messages
You should see some indication of your device. It is most likely
/dev/hd<something>.

<<JAV>>