On Tuesday, March 11, 2003 15:07, Michael Wardle wrote:
> I recently installed Debian on a test box, and one of the neat things I
> noticed was that when viewing a manual page with less, less's prompt looked
> something like:
> "Manual page tar(1) Line 1/20"
>
> While on Red Hat, you're lucky if you get something like:
> "Line 1/20"
>
> Does anybody know how this is achieved?

The less prompt "line 1-20" can be obtained by using the "-M" option, or by
setting $LESS to "M".

I don't think LESS or MANPAGER were set on the Debian box.

Is it possible that less on Debian knows the name of the file because Debian
uses catpages while Red Hat doesn't (if the assumption is correct)?

--
Michael Wardle
Adacel Technologies