On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Mikevl wrote:

> I can somebody please help me out with this.?
>
> My root partition seems to be full but I cannot find the files which
> fill it up.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mike
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# df -h
> /dev/hda1             980M  980M     0 100% /
> /dev/hdb1              73G   43G   26G  62% /mnt/Windows
> none                  250M     0  250M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda3              14G  1.5G   12G  11% /usr
> /dev/hda2              19G  5.1G   13G  28% /var

You should probably re-think your partitioning setup.  Unless you are
setting up a web hosting machine with all the web pages in /var, 19G is
way too large for the /var partition.  14G is a also a bit large for
/usr.  Depending on how you plan on using the system, I would consider
using something like parted to shrink /usr to somewhare between 2G and
4G, and use the freed up space to create a /home partition.  moving
/home to its own partition should free up a fair amount of space on /.
You might also want to trim 1 or 2G off of /var, and create a /tmp
partition.

If you deside to make the changes, and do not know how to move things to
new partitions, this has been covered on the list before.  If you can
not find it in the archives, then ask about the steps you don't
understand.

Mikkel