On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, DuSTiN KRySaK wrote:

> Hi there - earlier yesterday, someone passed on the info on how to
> change the path the redhat-config-packages looks for the rh8 cd's, but
> I have a question.. What if you are installing a 3rd party RPM, and it
> prompts for a cd? Is there a way to point that to the cd files on your
> hard drive?

It depends on the install program.  For an RPM, everything is contained
in the .rpm file.  It should not ask for a CD.  You may need other RPMs
installed to meet dependencies for RPM you are installing, but that is a
seperate issue.  You can also specify more then one RPM to be
installed/upgraded at the same time on the command line.  You can give
the full path to the RPMs, so they do not have to be in the same
directory.

One other point - under Linux, the CD-ROM does not have to be at a
specific place.  It is usualy at /mnt/cdrom, but there is nothing that
says it has to be.  /mnt/cdrom does not have a CD-ROM mounted on it.
One trick that I have found handy is to have the CD-ROM .iso image on
the hard drive, and use the -o loop option of mount to mount the file as
if it were a CD-ROM.  You can do interesting things using automount,
.iso images, and Samba...

Mikkel