On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Distribution Lists wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to a make bootable full system backup? Preferably
> > on tape. Instead of having to reinstall a new system from installation
> > CDs then restore with tar or cpio.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> There are a couple of backup programs/scripts on Freshmeat that will do
> that.  Basicly, you end up with a boot floppy or bootable CD, and then
> backup.  As far as I know, you can not boot directly from a tape drive
> on a PC compatable.  (You can on a Sparc...)

You actually can boot from a tape drive. The tape drive has to appear as
though it's a CDROM drive through BIOS in the inital boot procedure. After
that a tape software can run to perform the restore. I think only HP
offers these kind of tapes.

One-Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR)
http://www.openview.hp.com/products/omniback/Documents/Product_HTML-154.asp

MicroLite supports HP's OBDR feature for creating bootable tapes for Linux:
http://www.microlite.com/

Werner