I figured out the problem myself last night during some late hours of
frustration…

I started tinkering with the printer itself and I realized that my printer, the
Lexmark Z22, has two slots for ink cartridges – one for color, one for black.
The color cartridge was filled with ink, but the slot for a black ink cartridge
was empty - there was no cartridge. This worked fine on Windows, because the
drivers would print a composite black using all colors to get black to come out
on the page. In linux, the drivers weren’t told to do so (I have to figure out
if this is even possible, and if so, how to do it). I tested this by putting
the color cartridge in the black cartridge slot and voila! – my page printed in
all blue!!

I now have to find a black cartridge for my printer, or figure out how to get
the linux drivers to print using composite black. I’m going to do both actually
in my ongoing effort to learn as much as I can about Linux.

Thanks again for your help!
Alan