Rus Foster wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Hong Tian wrote:

If one disk of Raid 5 is found bad, Could I just replace the bad disk and
recover the system and data? Or Should I re-install the Linux system from
scratch again and recover the data from the backup?

The idea of RAID-5 is to survive this. Assuming you've only lost one disk
then you should be able to plug in the spare and they system should
rebuilt the data from the paratiy bits on the other disks.

Well that might occur on a scsi raid controller with the drives on a saf-te back plane. With software raid you will need to replace the failed drive. Create new md partitions on the drive, and do a raidhotadd to the md partitions.

Example I've got disk sda-sde, all disks are the same size and have the same partitioning scheme, disk sdd has failed, and been replaced. I have 3 md partitions md0/sd*1, md1/sd*2, and md2/sd*3

-fdisk -l /dev/sda  (figure how the disk should be partitioned)
-fdisk /dev/sdd  (configure the new drive as the other drive)
-cat /proc/mdstat  (Check out what drive goes where.)
-raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
-raidhotadd /dev/md1 /dev/sdd2
-raidhotadd /dev/md2 /dev/sdd3

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.