On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:13:48 -0500, Art Ross wrote:

> On another note, with the situation these students have created, is the
> best avenue to review the /var/log/messages file for clues of what is wrong or is
> there something in addition to it.  One of the students was able to get their
> 'xinetd' up after adding a missing } in the /etc/xinetd.d/swat file.    We were
> lead there by the messages file.

In your case, if "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart" or "service xinetd
restart" fails to start xinetd, you got to check the log file for an
error message. If xinetd starts with "[  OK  ]", but the enabled
service can't be connected to, I would also take a look at the log
file, but additionally verify whether xinetd is listening on the
desired port (with netstat or socklist or ...).

> > >   Is there any time that xinetd wouldn't work because of conflicting ports
> > > being requested by to different services?
> >
> > No. First come first served. It would disable the second service
> > that tries to bind on an already used port. And it would log an
> > appropriate error message. So make sure, you avoid non-unique config
> > ids and duplicate ports.
>
> Help me with the config id's!!!   Are these similar to the pid's which are reported
> and saved in pid files?  As for the ports I think the /etc/service file has the
> swat port  assignment set with the 7.3 install.  I assumed that no conflicts would
> exist.  Is this a bad assumption?

Config ids are the alpha-numerical alias names for a numerical port
number as found in /etc/services. In the following, "swat" is a
config id and at the same time tells xinetd to listen on port
901/tcp:

  service swat
  {
      # ...
  }

Obviously, xinetd can't run distinct services on the same port.
That's why these config ids must be unique. You can't have more than
one xinetd config file for service "swat". It would complain in the
log file.

The second case where xinetd would refuse to start a service is when
you tell it explicitly to bind more than one service to the same
address/port. For instance:

# /etc/xinetd.d/service1
service pop3
{
    port = 110
    # ...
}

# /etc/xinetd.d/service2
service pop2
{
    port = 110
    # POP2 would normally be port 109.
    # ...
}

This would be a mistake, because it could not run two services on
port 110. It would refuse to enable either one and complain in the
log file.

- --