On Sunday 16 March 2003 10:55 am, CM Miller wrote:
> yesterday I posted to this list that my modules.conf
> got screwed up somehow and someway.
>
> I could not cat the file, so I used vim and saw this

You can't cat a text file? What was the result of trying?

> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias eth0 3c59x
> alias usb-controller usb-ohci
> alias sound-slot-0 trident
> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f
> /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f
> /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> alias sound-slot-1 emu10k1
> post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f
> /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f
> /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> alias /proc/scsi/imm
> alias /proc/scsi/parport
> alias /lib/modules/2.4.18-26.8.0/kernel/fs/ntfs
>

> What the hell are the post-install and pre-remove
> mean?

Those lines are normal, they save and restore mixer settings.

> alias /proc/scsi/imm
> alias /proc/scsi/parport
> alias /lib/modules/2.4.18-26.8.0/kernel/fs/ntfs

The 3 lines above are invalid, I believe.
alias takes the form of "alias alias_name result"

> Anyway, I backed the file up, deleted those lines and
> then rebooted.  All came out fine.

Which, the mixer lines? They shouldn't have caused any problem.

> How in the hell did that happen?  I only added the
> ntfs modules a few weeks ago, so I am still scratching
> me head over this and would like to learn from this
> experience.

Had you rebooted since adding the ntfs line to /etc/modules.conf?

- --
- -Michael

- --