Thousands of patches and kludges later RH8 is functional but well behind
the curve.  Anyone know if/when RedHat intends to release a
significantly upgraded version?  (I am sick of wasting time trying to
get things to work, or fixing things the updates break.)

Feature Wish List:

1.  Integrated xsane with complete feature support for common scanners,
including the Memorex MEM48U.

2.  Integrated E-mail client that includes at least the features of
MSIE.  (Beonex & Galeon fall short, e.g. neither auto-completes
addresses and neither of the address books function reliably.)

3.  Integrated dial-up/modem monitor that accurately displays connect,
data flow, and other information.  (None of the apps I have tried work
properly.  e.g. the icon shows up but the status lights are unreadable
and the pop-up fails -- so no info.)

4.  Integrated image and video display apps.  Have GIMP and GNOME
running, hacked in MTV for MPEGS, but nothing working for AVI, etc.
Quite frankly it seems absurd to have to chase down all of this stuff
for a product I bought (yes, I bought it) that was represented as a
complete M$ Windows alternative.

5.  There is more but I have either hacked-in apps, learned to expect a
lesser product for the sake of not using M$, or given up expecting
certain things to work for the same reason.  (Oh, StarOffice 6.0, paid
for that as well, still doesn't integrate properly -- not sure if I
should blame Sun or RedHat but sure know I should not have to spend
hours getting two commercial Linux products to talk to each other!
That's why I moved to RH8 from Debian.)

Sigh ... doc