On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 19:31, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> Previously I was running Mandrake 8, but I lost a hard drive and decided
> to install RH8 on the new one.  XMMS used to play smoothly even under
> heavy load, but now it skips at the slightest thing, like scrolling a
> modest amount of text, or even just moving a window.
>
> Since the hardware and software were changed at the same time, I have no
> idea where to being looking.  Any suggestions?
>
> Krum

You might want to set some params for your HD's using "hdparm" - that
is, if it's installed. If not, it's on the CD's and you can find it in
the Software Installer.

By optimising the performance of your drives (use DMA and PIO and
transfer modes as you can) you will ensure a smoother experience with
XMMS or any other media player.

--
Mon Mar 17 19:40:00 EST 2003
 19:40:00 up 54 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.08
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |                                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

Inglish Spocken Hier: some mangled translations

        Sign on a cathedral in Spain:
                It is forbidden to enter a woman, even a foreigner if
                dressed as a man.

        Above the enterance to a Cairo bar:
                Unaccompanied ladies not admitted unless with husband
                or similar.

        On a Bucharest elevator:

                The lift is being fixed for the next days.
                During that time we regret that you will be unbearable.

                -- Colin Bowles