On Monday 17 March 2003 23:44, Jacob Langley wrote:
> I normally use Slackware but my gf uses linux.  I want her to be able to
> mount the samba shares she has on my file server on her laptop easily.
> On my own machine i added the info to the fstab and installed smbmnt
> suid root.

Shouldn't smbmnt be suid root on her laptop and not on your server?

> I have the samba stuff installed on her laptop, and the
> drive mounts fine if i do a mount /mnt/path as root but I can't do it as
> her user.  I went looking for smbmnt but I couldn't find it.  Anyone
> know what I have to do differently with RedHat?

I think you want the package samba-client and not samba.

This is what I put in my /etd/fstab/ on my laptop:

//mymachine.uio.no/username        /home/olsen/UiO      smbfs        \
defaults,uid=olsen,gid=olsen,credentials=/home/olsen/.smbmntrc 0 0

The file .smbmntrc contains the following in plain text:

username=uio/username
password=secretofcourse

And ls -l .smbmntrc gives:
ls -l .smbmntrc
-r--------    1 olsen olsen       39 Mar 16 21:40 .smbmntrc

Then smbmnt don't have to be suid root, and the samba-share is mounted at
every boot. Only root can unmount/mount the share. I don't know if this is
better that setting smbmnt suid root.

--
Øystein Olsen, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio
Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, http://www.astro.uio.no