From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of David Busby
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 2:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Starting and stopping bind

Try /etc/init.d/named stop
  The scripts in /etc/init.d/ (really /etc/rc.d/init.d) are used to start
and stop "services" (daemons).
If you `cd /etc/init.d/` and then `ls` you can see all of the good stuff.
Also `setup` will give a nifty UI for this stuff.  If all else fails you can
kill any process with `kill [process id]`, the Process ID can be found with
`ps -e`.  Or you can try my favourite "kill `pidof named`"  (no quotes!).

/B