On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 08:32:20PM +0200, Ceyhun Kirmizitas wrote:
> Hello,
> One server( unfortunately win2k,this is not my choice) in my network
> listens syslog messages.
> By this way, if one of the service stops/or starts on Redhat machines,
> then win2k server knows this situation.
>
> In other words, if one service that must run on linux machines stops
> accidently, this service should be restarted by the win2k server remotely.
> P.s: I do not want to do this by telneting or ssh...Any other suggesstions

SITANL:
Net of servers w/W2K system syslogging for net.  W2K sys is NOT polling
other systems (Which is the right way to do failover by the way) but waits for
messages saying - "Hey this service stopped"?  (what if cause of service stopping
also prevents these messages from being sent? )

If you cannot telnet or ssh then you must build a small daemon process to
listen on on a port for requests to restart the given service.  Its easy to do
in Perl or python.

> Ceyhun Kirmizitas
> Middle East Technical University
> Ankara / Turkey
>

> --

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.