I have successfully installed a master DNS server on Red Hat Linux 8. When I
test it with the host command it works just fine.

When I try to setup DNS on another box (also Red Hat Linux 8) but run it as
a slave, I continually get
rndc: connect: connection refused

I am using the Red Hat BIND Configuration Tool (redhat-config-bind) because
the GUI will be friendly for the support staff here, so I am not going to
manually edit the named.conf file, although I can edit the named.custom file
which gets imported. After reading carefully and multiple times the Red Hat
documentation for rndc, I have copied the 256 bit key from the master DNS
server and placed it as a second key in the /etc/rndc.conf file, as well as
adding a server block to reference the key. Still the same error occurs.

I have checked the /etc/named.conf file and the rndc.conf file have matching
keys and yes there is the standard:
controls {
  inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { my-key-name; };
};

Any thoughts? Is there some trick to adding a slave DNS? (All the docs
suggest it should be easier.)