Ok, thanks for the info. I will check into it.

Richard Humphrey

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 7:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: /var/lastlog

Richard Humphrey <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thursday, 20 March
2003 07:52:

> What does /var/lastlog report on and would it be possible for me to
> somehow truncate this log file so that it only grows to 5 MB or so? I
> noticed that it is growing upwards of 20 MB and don't really want
> that.
>
> Richard Humphrey

Hi Richard,

try ..
man lastlog

I was under the impression that the file did not grow,
unless you were adding users, or at least it stabilises to
a fixed size determined by the highest uid.
I suspect you might have an account recording a login with a high uid. That
will extend the file, possibly by a large amount, but the intervening empty
space is not necessarily allocated on the disk.

Without looking at the source code, I think the file format is fixed-length
records, indexed by uid. It is certainly not a sequential time-series
like a typical log file.

That's why it has no entry in logrotate, it is meant to hang around forever.

Cameron.