I recently compiled and installed Linux 2.5.65 onto my Red Hat 8 box.  I
have a dual Athlon MP box 760MP (not MPX) chipset, Western Digital 8 meg
cache 100 gig HD, a 36 gig SCSI 160 HD, and a Sound Blaster Live - also
a Radeon 8500 128 meg video card, nearly forgot about that.  So far its
actually more stable on my hardware then the Red Hat kernels,
interestingly enough.  The new scheduler is as improved as the claims,
the responsiveness improvements are very noticable.  Also, interestingly
enough, I'm experiencing faster downloads over my cable modem.

Typically I only see as high as 320K or so under Red Hat 2.4 kernels, vs
only 300K in Win XP on the same hardware.  I just saw as high as 355K a
moment ago under 2.5.65!  Any ideas how that is?  3D is broken, can't
install ATI's modules for 3D support - but I'm not really missing it.
Mouse stutters are gone, mp3's never skip, faster downloads, and faster
app launches - I'm happy.

However there is something odd.  hdparm is reporting my Western Digital
8 meg HD as only ATA33 when I know its 100, and its performance test
(hdparm -t /dev/hda) is reporting roughly half the performance of what
I'm used to.  Nonetheless, outside of what hdparm says I'm not seeing or
"feeling" any performance problems, apps are actually launching faster -
perhaps the improved block i/o layer?  I don't think its a matter of me
selecting the wrong drivers, my SCSI hard disk has the very same issue -
half the performance, and I know its the right driver.

Well, I for one am very much looking forward to 2.6 - I cannot wait!!

Anyone else experimenting with 2.5?

~Christopher