> On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 18:09, Leon Goldman wrote:
>> I would like to get a new motherboard with faster CPU. I am running
>> RH
>> 8.0. If I just plug in the board and boot up will RH8.0 recognize the
>> new board and the hardware?
>> Leon

RedHat kernels seems to take well the total replacement of mobos.   You
should be fine. The kernel can detect chipset changes, etc and kudzu then
reconfigure somethings based on what the kernel says.  For example, network
settings can be inherited from a missing on-board nic to a new on-board nic.

Unlike windows (where it goes through about 5 boots of detecting new
hardware and ask for all kinds of drivers, then duplicates them to where you
have to remove them in safe mode), linux to pretty clean.  My question is,
how much component swapping does RH really do to test the robustness of
kudzu?  Sounds like they might can take a harddrive and boot it up on as
many different systems as possibly - then see what will go wrong.

-eric wood