I hadn't seen any replies to this yet, so I'll venture an observation
of my own:  CDRW should be the master device on any IDE chain that
they are attached to, at least whenever possible.  I've noticed
marked reliability concerns and performance concerns when the CDRW
wasn't the primary on it's chain, so I would switch the two drives
around.

That said, I hadn't noticed a problem with CDRW write speeds before
in my setup (I have a Samsung 24-10-40 CDRW and a Liteon 16/52x DVD
drive in my box, plus a 52X HiVal CD drive that I had had in the box
until this past weekend, when I needed it's power connector to start
my new RAID 0 array).  Some media, however, are not able to burn well
at higher speeds (I still have media my drive will default to 8x for,
although other media I can burn on at the full 24x; the drive (and
most of the better modern CDRWs) can detect the maximum media speed
relatively well).  I have yet to see 52x media, so you've got something
there (I've only seen media rated at 24x, though the best media I've
found is actually only rated for 8x (It was a CompUSA 100 pack I
picked up for $5 after rebate) that burns at whatever speed I can
dish out on any of the four burners I've got in my house, and the
burner in a friends machine, 2x24, 1x12 (Laptop), 1x? (Laptop), 1x2)

Bill Ward