Tsuyoshi Takada wrote:

Hi, all

I don't know well about the following UNIX terms.
Would you teach me about them?

"contrib" ... I often see this word in ftp site.

grep(1) ... What does the number (1) mean?

regards,

I think "contrib" has it's roots in BSD - meaning contritubted software for the BSD project. I've seen a lot of older SunOS machines and BSD machines with /usr/contrib (instead of /usr/local).

The (1) or (n) after a command is the section of the manual pages that the actual man page can be found it.

For instance if you have grep(1) and grep(3) on your system, if you want the manual page for the user command, type "man 1 grep". If you want the library call manual page for grep, type "man 3 grep".

Cheers,
   Ryan