Hi friends

I will attempt in a near future to put up a "case study and
implementation proposal" for the migration of a number of old unix
machines here in our dept to modern Unix variants.

In order to successfully convince my bosses about this, I will need to
provide "plain facts". So, please, if somebody have pointers to
information or has first hand experience about the next points,
please, let me know:

1) Is it possible to make RH Linux-4.2.ppc work on an IBM PowerPC Model 720?

2) Are there projects, efforts or even achievements to make Linux run
on RS6000 machines? Does Linux for PowerPC apply to RS6000 machines?

3) What is the availability (and quality) of basic (server) software
like on Linux for PowerPC? I'm mostly insterested in gcc, g++, fortran
(g77), ftp server, httpd, samba.

Thanks a lot for your attention

Cristian Tibirna
Net Admin