On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:59:05PM -0600, Jason M. Kuhlman wrote:
> Following the discussion over the last couple of days over the release
> of RH 9 has been interesting.  Question:  Obviously most of us are
> very fond of Redhat, at least up to 7.3 gathered by some of the heated
> discussion today.  Since I would assume RH would be/is your first
> choice of a Linux distribution, what are your second and third
> choices?

Slackware.  The knock against slack is it's difficult to configure, too
confusing, etc., but I've found the opposite to be true.  Everything is
cleanly and economically laid out with well-commented config files, and
there's no cruft or unknown extra stuff.  I started with slackware, and
it's still my distribution of choice on slower machines.  However,
there's no dependency checking and the slackware community, at least
going by alt.os.linux.slackware, seems to be mostly composed of
snot-nosed kids.  Not what you want to be dealing with when it's 1 am
and you're trying to get that new wireless ethernet card working.

Debian.  I don't have a lot of experience with debian, but I know that
many consider apt to be a better package management tool than rpm.  But
what I find most appealing about Debian is that the community (e.g. the
Debian social contract) is by design highly resistant to the kind of
corporate control Redhat is seeking to exercise over us.  What's driving
the linux movement, the thing that makes it great, is the community of
users who contribute to it, not some corporation bent on monetizing its
relationship with its users.  I do understand that Redhat wants to be a
successful corporation, but to me they're not more important than the
free software movement.

This situation is saddens me because from a purely technical
perspective, I have no issues with Redhat.  I've used it since 5.x and
I'm very happy with my (heavily modified) 7.2 machine.  But Redhat is
going to stop supporting it at the end of the year, and I will not be
jumping on a financially induced upgrade treadmill just to get security
fixes.

I suspect this rant will not be very popular on a mailing list composed
of knowledgeable Redhat advocates, but it is how I feel.