> This is about my trials and tribulations trying to bring up a brand new
> 2.4G P4 single CPU Intel motherboard. Does anyone know whether this PCI
> bridge is "non-transparent" or has any issues that require "special"
> support? (boot returns "unsupported bridge resource 0: assumes
> transparent") In RH8 the boot process can't find my RTC registers, can't
> install the modem driver (either for the lousy HaM winmodem that came
> with it or for a more :"orthodox" variety),

HHHmm. I'm assuming this more orthodox variety is still a softmodem? I
cannot stress enough to people to give up on these things. I have never,
ever had troubles with 'true' 56K external modems. All I hear on this list
is people complaining about the softmodems. Just stop buying them.

> can't run the "on-board"
> audio mixer or network adapter! And this system is dual-boot, all this
> stuff self-configured and runs fine under Win2K! (Of course it drove me
> nuts trying to get resource info off the doggone Win2K Device Manager,
> showing "virtual" hardware IRQs at 17, 19and 20!) Has anybody gotten any
> further than I did with this board/chip? Is there a workaround? Is this
> a "new technology", is it gonna be supported in RH9?

Look, I was asking myself these questions about the D845GEBV2L not long ago.
Intel in their wisdom have use an entirely different chipset for
NIC/VGA/Sound as the old D845GBVL (it's predecessor). When installing the
other OS, with the GBVL, I used to simply install. It would recognize
everything auto. With the GEBV2L, nothing is recognized. I MUST run the
Intel MB CD to get things to go. Your board, the PESV is even newer.

However, on the Linux front Intel have released drivers for the D845 chipset
video that I know of. I know the NIC is recognized on my system auto. I'm
not sure about audio. If the PESV doesn't have drivers, you'll have to
exercise patience. Intel will always support the other OS first. As for your
modem, get a real one.

Have a gripe to Intel about the other stuff. If they build stuff that
requires drivers, and don't supply them, it really is their problem that you
should take up with them.

Regards,

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)