Steve Buehler wrote:

I am not exactly sure what icmp is. When I looked at redhats description of it, it didn't sound like it would be something that needs to be opened up on a firewall, but someone told me that it should and never said why. Can anybody tell me if I should open up icmp on my firewall in front of my linux server and if so, why?

Thanks
Steve

My default INPUT rule on my firewall is "DROP"

Here are the ICMP related rulles that I have in my INPUT table on my firewall:

############
#
## This is ICMP stuff
#Type   Name                                    Reference
#----   -------------------------               ---------
#  0    Echo Reply                               [RFC792]
#  3    Destination Unreachable                  [RFC792]
#  4    Source Quench                            [RFC792]
#  5    Redirect                                 [RFC792]
#  6    Alternate Host Address                      [JBP]
#  8    Echo                                     [RFC792]
#  9    Router Advertisement                    [RFC1256]
# 10    Router Solicitation                     [RFC1256]
# 11    Time Exceeded                            [RFC792]
# 12    Parameter Problem                        [RFC792]
# 13    Timestamp                                [RFC792]
# 14    Timestamp Reply                          [RFC792]
# 15    Information Request                      [RFC792]
# 16    Information Reply                        [RFC792]
# 17    Address Mask Request                     [RFC950]
# 18    Address Mask Reply                       [RFC950]
# 30    Traceroute                              [RFC1393]
# 31    Datagram Conversion Error               [RFC1475]
# 32     Mobile Host Redirect              [David Johnson]
# 35     Mobile Registration Request        [Bill Simpson]
# 36     Mobile Registration Reply          [Bill Simpson]
# 37     Domain Name Request                     [Simpson]
# 38     Domain Name Reply                       [Simpson]
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 0 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 3 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 11 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 12 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 14 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 16 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 18 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 31 -j ACCEPT

-Ben.