On Thursday 27 March 2003 07:32 pm, Jack Bowling wrote:
> ** Reply to message from Michael Fratoni
> on Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:58:14 -0500

> > I used to think so as well. And I'm sure I had to do both in the past
> > at some point. However on the Pheobe list, this was disputed by Arjan
> > van de Ven.
> > (https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/phoebe-list/2003-January/000762
> >.html)
[...]
> > 1) The *ONLY* place the kernel headers of the current kernel live is
> > /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
> > not /usr/include/linux, not /usr/include/linux-2.4 not anything else
> > this is per Linus' decree fwiw
>
> Interesting. Take a look at this:
>
>  /usr/lib/modules/2.4.18-14]$ ll
> total 336
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 Feb 16 23:42 build ->
> ../../../usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14 drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root

I'm not sure what you're trying to show here. This looks correct to me.
Kernel headers should only be included via "/lib/modules/`uname
- -r`/build".
Which is a symlink to the kernel source matching the running kernel. (Or a
broken symlink if it isn't installed.)
On my machine:
$ ll /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           36 Mar 18 21:10
/lib/modules/2.4.18-27.8.0/build -> ../../../usr/src/linux-2.4.18-27.8.0

$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
abi  asm  asm-generic  asm-i386  linux  net  pcmcia  rxrpc  scsi  video

One notable exception is my situation here. I have an ethernet module I
have to build myself. If I install a new kernel and kernel-source, I have
to either:
1. reboot without my network driver, and then build the module.
2. Commit a sin, and include /usr/src/linux-2.4/include, rather than the
proper /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include so that I can build for the
new kernel while still running the old kernel.

> > 2) You do NOT need all these steps; the headers RHL ships by default
> > Just Work(tm) and will generate a module for the currently running
> > kernel.
>
> The key being "that RHL ships". Lots of people roll their own kernels
> on RH boxes.

True enough. However, if they have already built a custom kernel, they
also had to run make config (in some form) and make dep, no? ;) No need
to run it again just to build the module.

If you are running a stock kernel, there should be no need to run make
oldconfig and make dep. As a matter of fact, if you do, this may cause a
kernel/module version mismatch. Red Hat's included Makefile defines
EXTRAVERSION = -27.8.0custom (for example). I'm guessing that once you run
make oldconfig and make dep, any modules built against that source will
have the 'custom' appended to the module versioning, and refuse to load
into a stock kernel.

- --
- -Michael

- --