On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:56:49PM -0600, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:39:37 -0500, Jeff Kinz wrote
>
> > ssh into the system you want to connect to (You must have X-windows
> > running locally) and issue this command in the shell on the other system
> > 'xterm -fn 10x20 -geometry 150x55+30+200'
> >
> > This will create a local xterm program, where thw shell is running
> > on the remote system, and the display is on your local machine. Very
> > useful.
>
> I am confused. If you have done a ssh and connected to the remote system, you
> are already able to enter commands to the remote system and see them on the
> local display. Why would you want to create one more layer of communication to
> accomplish what you can in the original connection terminal?

This technique can be used to run "any" X-windows program so that it is
part of the local X-Win display, but the process actually runs on the remote
system.  I assume the GUI program that the original requestor wants
to run is a little more graphical then xterm, but xterm is an X-Windows
program and is sufficently "GUI-ish" to demonstrate the concept.
(I think... :-) )

If you want you can start up "Xetris" instead.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an