As you are running Oracle you should run the kernel that comes with Red
Hat Advanced Server, as this has added functionality specifically for
Oracle systems.  I wouldn't be suprised if Oracle won't provide support
for anyone who compiles a different kernel as this would not has gone
through the extensive testing and certification that default kernel has.

Red Hat has also ported some features from newer kernels into the AS2.1
kernel, so the version number itself is not a true indication of how 'old'
it is.