On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 09:01, Alston, Lois wrote:
> I am trying this again, my mail says "Plain Text", but, for some
> reason this list thinks it is HTML.
>
> We are currently using RedHat 6.0 with a Rainbow card and our program
> is using RPC and TCP, with some UDP for our transmission between
> Solaris 8 and RedHat 6.0.  We were able to transmit 1000 transaction
> in 5-sec using this environment.  I am trying to find out what changed
> or what do I need to tweak to get the same rate on RedHat 7.3 or
> RedHat 8.0.  With RedHat 7.3 or 8.0 it took 13-18 seconds to transmit
> the same 1000 transactions.  What has changed in these versions of the
> Operating Systems.  I can consistently get the numbers we need up to
> RedHat 7.0.  I thought it was the ethernet card, but it is the same
> one we used in the 6.0 and 7.0 systems, 3com 3c905b.  I even
> downloaded the driver and installed it with not success in changing
> the numbers.  We even tried to tweak some of the TCP parameters with
> no great improvement, the most we could shave off of the numbers was
> 2-seconds.
>
> Or is there some documentation I can read somewhere to find some
> answers.
>
> Lois E. Alston
> Collective Technologies
> Consultant-- Scientific Atlanta

My answer isn't going to be very helpful to you, but there are likely a
lot of changes in both the 3c905 driver and the TCP/IP stack in the
kernel between RH 7.0 and RH 7.3.  Your best bet may be just to stick
with RH 6.0/7.0.  You could always try taking the driver source from the
RH 7.0 source tree, putting it into the 7.3/8.0 source tree and
compiling it.  That may or may not easily work.  Even if it does, it may
not solve your problem.

--
David Hollister
Furthurnet - Free, legal P2P - share the tunes:  http://furthurnet.org