Art Ross wrote:

I'm planning to build a box for Linux.  I want to be able to download
pictures from a digital camera and movies from a digital movie camera.
What types of hardware will I need for these capabilities?  I'll be
running a dual boot between RedHat and maybe Lindows.
 Thanks in advance,

There are 2 ways this is done:

1)Many cameras like my sony are seen as usb mass storage devices.
2)Others need a user space program to download the images. Generally gphoto2, or a gui frontend like gtkam.

I'd just try gtkam, and if that doesn't work type "dmesg" on the command line. If dmesg indicates the kernel dtected a usb mass storage device. Try mounting the device it detected. (example "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera")

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.