-----Original Message-----
From: Binyon Steve Contr Det 4 AFC2TIG/ASRCC
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 12:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] com (E-mail)
Subject: xscreensaver -unlock by root

I've been trying to get xscreensaver to unlock after entering the root
password
without much luck.  Did a google search and found that RH modified
xscreensaver
to disallowed this type of action and that the source would need to be
remade.
After a successfull rpm/config/make I copied the new xscreensaver to
/usr/X11R6/bin
to replace the original and it worked on my local system, so, I copied the
new
xscreensaver to another system, and I can not get it to work (both run RH
8.0).

After extracting the xscreensaver source from the SRPM file into
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/xscreensaver-4.05, I examined ./driver/passwd-pam
and
passwd-pwent.c and saw that after trying the user's passwd, it checks for
root's
password, which seem to follow what was stated in the xscreensaver man page.
Did
the ./configure with no errors, and then did the make, which created the
./driver/xscreensaver (plus some other files, such as xscreensaver-demo).  I
copied
the xscreensaver into /usr/X11R6/bin and restarted X (ctrl-alt-bksp).
Waited for
the blank screen and hit shift, typed in the root password and it worked.
Great,
so I copied this new xscreensaver to another system and tried the same test
which
failed.  I did notice in /var/log/messages, an authenication failure from
pam_unix
for both the user and root on the failing system, but I noticed the same
messages
on the system that it works on.

I'm not clear on why it works on one system and not the other.  Nor am I
clear on
where xscreensaver is actually being started from (parent=1) since the man
page
doesnt seem to match up with with whats on the system.  If anyone on the
list has
successfully got xscreensaver to unlock using root password, can you tell me
what I am missing?  Thanks.

Steve Binyon
System Administrator
TACCSF
(505)853-0368

Solution:

First of if one does the make install everything will work as it should,
but the trick is if one is using shadow passwords then
/usr/X11R6/xscreensaver
needs to be setuid.  When I did the make install on the orignal system as
root this message does not appear and it does it for you, but the mesasage
will
appear when performed as non-root.

I'm still at a lost of determining where xscreensaver is initiated.

Hope this helps others in the future.

~smbinyon