Let me explain the setup a bit, then ask if anyone has any advice.

I have a Dell Latititude C640, with the following disk layout.

(1) These things come with a pre-allocated primary partition containing
diagnostics, and there is a BIOS boot option to boot the diagnostic
partition.

(2) To use suspend-to-disk with an APM OS, I have a second primary
partition allocated.  This holds the S2D image and a utility to save and
restore.

(3) I have /boot as a small primary partition.  In order to use the S2D
partition, GRUB has to be installed in this partition, and this partition
is active.

(4) Next is the extended partition.  It holds logical partitions for /,
/usr, /home, and swap.

(5) I have some unallocated space, and I'd like to reload the Win2K that
came with the machine and set up dual boot.

Obviously, I've used up my three primary partitions.  I can make the Win2K
partition inside the extended partition, but that raises my questions:

(1) Can I boot into an OS in a logical partition from GRUB?

(2) Can I boot into Windows in a logical partition with the usual MBR boot
loader if I make the /boot partition inactive?  (I wouldn't do this
normally, but if I need Dell support, the pedants there insist that they
won't support a dual boot machine, so I need to be able to make the thing
boot directly into Windows.)

(3) Alternatively, can I make /boot a logical partition and still make it
active?

TIA.

--
                Matthew Saltzman