Dean Hayes wrote:

Hey,

I have installed Red Hat 7.3 but when i start my system i get the text console login. after i login as root i try to switch to graphical mode by pressing ctrl+alt+F1 but all i get is a mouse pointer. i have also tried init 5 but nothing works can anyone tell me how i can get to graphical mode??

Is X properly installed and properly configured and your video card is supported?

Regards,
Ed.

P.S. Your mail is confusing. If you login in text mode, only startx will get you to X. Whilst in X (which is usually on virtual console 7), ctrl+alt+F1 will get you back to the text shell on virtual console 1.

As far as I'm concerned, you should get no mouse pointer on VT1 at all.

Regards,
Ed.