Pauly wrote:

- I don't wanna use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, due to the known reasons.

What known reasons?

  And even as I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/profile, gnome isn't starting
  correctly, cause it can't find the old gtk 2.0 libs then.

Then only set the variable for the program, when you run it. It shouldn't be a problem if you just stick the command in a desktop icon or a very small shell script.

Now, has anybody the same problem, is there a clean procedure to update and
install the gtk 2.2 libs? Is it possibe to have both libs coexisting in
/usr/lib?

Since they didn't change the sonames, one would assume that they're binary compatible. Try grabbing the src.rpm for gtk2 from Red Hat Linux 9, and re-build it on your machine. Then use "rpm -Uvh" to install it. If rpm thinks it's safe, then it *may* be. Try starting a gnome application afterward, and if there's an error message, let us know what it is.