Richard Humphrey wrote:
Is
anyone using another method (cpio,dump etc)

I use cpio and this script: http://phantom.dragonsdawn.net/~gordon/backup/backup

and which do you prefer and
why?

tar is fine for getting a directory and its contents, but for anything more complex, it's much harder to live with. cpio and dump are both able to back up a directory without its contents, which is important if you expect that permissions may change (and should be restored) in an incremental backup. tar handles only the most basic of situations.

Also, if your filesystem has any features outside of the standard POSIX spec, dump will be the only tool which will back up and restore them. This is important to consider when using XFS and ACLs, for instance.

If you're backing up more than one machine, I recommend using cpio or dump in conjunction with amanda, or another backup spooler.

More important, I think, than any other advice is this:
Make sure your backups work. Attempt to restore your backups to a clean machine, or alternate root directory. It doesn't matter what you use if they don't work. If you're satisfied with the restore, then the question of tar vs. cpio vs. dump is less important.