have u done a find from the / directory ? Failing that, are you sure
that its a complete release of tomcat as it should contain a
startup.sh

Also, have you tried installing an ordainary tar file rather than an
rpm ?

I have to tomcat version 4.1.18 installed and running. I just
downloaded the tarfile and extracted it to a directory called /apps.
The startup.sh should be in /tomcat/bin

U can create a user called tomcat and put the JAVA_HOME and
TOMCAT_HOME/CATALINA_HOME vars in the .profile for that user if
you're not running it as root or put it in roots profile if you are.

There should definitely be a startup.sh so check the its not an
incomplete rpm

At Wed, 28 May 2003 16:39:10 -0700, you wrote:
>I have version tomcat4-4.1.12-full installed and I have never seen
the
>startup.sh script.  Im farely new to Tomcat as well but Im pretty
sure the
>only thing the startup.sh script does is invoke the cataline start
script
>which in turn calls the bootstrap.jar file.  However I have never
cycled
>tomcat that way  Your CATALINA_HOME var should be configured
automatically
>by the rpm(on mine its /var/tomcat4 - which should be the same on
yours)and
>set within your tomcat4.conf file, found under /etc/tomcat4.  The
RPM should
>install your major tomcat config files there.
>
>Really the only configuration I had to do was add the JAVA_HOME path
to my
>tomcat4.conf, and then adding tomcat4 to my run levels. Have you
tried
>manually starting the tomcat start script under /etc/init.d?  You
should
>have received a message during the install that tells you that you
need to
>add tomcat to the necessary run levels to start upon reboot.  As
long as you
>have installed your JDK and ANT you should be good to go.  Hopefully
that
>helps, let me know and if you need more help.
>
>Thanks,
>
>DK

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are addressed. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify us immediately
and delete this E-mail from your system. Thank you.
It is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or
accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the
communication is by E-mail, the Big Picture Group does not accept
any responsibility for any breach of confidence which may arise through the use of
this medium.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the
official business of Big Picture Group shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of
known computer viruses.