Sorry for the long post but I am really trying to understand why this
isnt working. I have verified with 2 techs at my ISP that they are not
blocking any ports. (wanted to clear that up right away)

I have a machine set up at home (RedHat 8 fully up2date) and it is
running sendmail. I can receive mail just fine and send mail locally on
my LAN to both internal and external recipients. I have set up SMTP AUTH
and want to be able to send mail from outside my network using my smtp
server and authenticating against my username. I believe all this is set
up correctly according to this website
http://www.joreybump.com/code/howto/smtpauth.html. When I try to send an
email (using Outlook Express) I get the following error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'xxx.homedns.org',
Server: 'xxx.homedns.org', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10054, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The actual hostname has been replaced with xxx. I have a DSL router
allowing port 25 and 110 to my Redhat box. I can receive email fine
remotely using pop. I have no other firewall set up atm. When I tried
the following command to test the connection, nothing is written to
test.log

 sendmail -bD -X test.log

It is acting like the request is never even getting to sendmail to begin
authentication. Here is my sendmail.mc file for reference

divert(-1)
dnl This is the sendmail macro config file. If you make changes to this
file,
dnl you need the sendmail-cf rpm installed and then have to generate a
dnl new /etc/mail/sendmail.cf by running the following command:
dnl
dnl        m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`linux setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')
dnl Uncomment and edit the following line if your mail needs to be sent
out
dnl through an external mail server:
dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl
undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl
dnl define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
dnl define(`STATUS_FILE', `/etc/mail/statistics')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
`authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')
define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
dnl define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl
dnl define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `5d')dnl
dnl define(`confQUEUE_LA', `12')dnl
dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA', `18')dnl
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
dnl FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
dnl The '-t' option will retry delivery if e.g. the user runs over his
quota.
FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
dnl This changes sendmail to only listen on the loopback device
127.0.0.1
dnl and not on any other network devices. Comment this out if you want
dnl to accept email over the network.
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=MTA')dnl
dnl NOTE: binding both IPv4 and IPv6 daemon to the same port requires
dnl       a kernel patch
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`port=smtp,Addr=::1, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')
dnl We strongly recommend to comment this one out if you want to protect
dnl yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on computers that
do
dnl not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`relays.ordb.org', `Rejected - see http://ordb.org/')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`bl.spamcop.net',`Rejected - see
http://spamcop.net/')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`sbl.spamhaus.org',`Rejected - see
http://spamhaus.org/')dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
Cwlocalhost.localdomain