-----Original Message-----
From: id est <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 0:55 AM
Subject: HELP! monitor going wiggy

>had a TTX 17" monitor attached up to a ATI Mach64 on my Pentium-based
>Redhat 4.2 box, everything was just hunky-dory until last night.
>suddenly smell something burnt...

I don't total understand what you are saying about when it makes the
noise... Is it only in X-Windows?? Or does it make the noise at the regular
prompt? X can destroy a monitor (From what I hear... I have no personal
experience) if you set the sync rate to high in the XF86config program (Or
whatever you use). But if you get the same problem at the regular prompt,
then obviously that is not the problem!

My next suggestion would be to try changing the power cord... I don't see
how a video card could directly affect the "health" of a monitor... Though
it maybe possible and I'm just not aware of it.

Bill Bushong - Concord, NH
Web Page: http://www.totalnetnh.net/~billybb
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Call Sign: N1SNI   --()--   ICQ Number: 1268653
-- In my opinion MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making a
good OS - Linus Torvalds
Download for free the future of networks... http://www.redhat.com