Yeah.. I did some study on this via google, and found
out that error only comes up when you have lilo
installed.

But remember the lilo.conf file was basically void of
any kernel stuff in there.

So instead of the RPM correctly updating both
grub.conf and lilo.conf, it did update grub.conf
correctly (since I have since applied it to other RH8
machines), but did not do lilo.conf correctly - since
I can only assume it removed the old kernel entries
from lilo.conf but didn't add the new ones.

So I emailed the datacentre support guys, told them to
add the correct lilo lines, which they did, and
brought up the server again. They told me I
"misconfigured the server", but I wasn't about to
argue the point when they charge for their time.

Red Hat should've gotten this right in my opinion, but
now I know the error, I'll recognise it in future
updates and patches.

Thanks.

Michael.

--- Michael Fratoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>