On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:51:47AM -0500, Oscar Medina wrote:
> I have an old 386 PC with 8 MB RAM and 250 MB HD. I would like to reuse
> this PC, installing Linux on it.
>
> However, common Linux distributions needs more RAM I have. Does anyone
> realized this process before. Could you help me?

What in your mind is "Linux"?  To get the kernel--even a very new
kernel--to boot in 8 megs and leave a very significant fraction of RAM
available for user programs, is quite possible.  Embedded machines
running with far less "disk" space (or no non-volatile storage at all)
are common.  Embedded machines running with that little RAM are less
common, but they do exist.  But embedded machines are very limited in
what they try to do.  What do you want to do?  If you pretend you ae
building an embedded machines and start with a kernel and carefully
add the specific lean bits you want you could accomplish a lot.  (If
you can boot strap up to running to begin with.)

But if you want to run any programs that are graphical and even
vaguely new you are going to be seriously hurting.  Fighting with X
and getting a light-weight windowing system up would be possible in so
little RAM, but then what?  Most of the interesting development of
applications has been developed by people with far more RAM, and so
will require lots of RAM.  Even applications intended for PDAs like
the Zarus will be tight--a handheld Zarus has 4-times as much RAM as
you do, in addition to 64-Mbytes of flash.

If you want to run text-based programs and server software there will
be a lot to chose from, however, you still can overstress your
capacity.  For example, I am subscribe to some high volume mailing
lists, and though I use a text-based mail program (mutt), my mail file
is over 100 MB right now.  (I am behind, that is why I am so late in
writing this.)  Your little machine will not be able to handle such
large tasks, even in pure text.

In contrast, if you keep your tasks to, say, 15-year old sizes, you
can do real work in such a small machine.  The Linux kernel itself is
still small.  And you will learn a lot.  But as others have said,
getting a discarded machine with 4- or 8-times the memory would be a
lot less work for you.

-kb