I've successfully used gtkpod on an old style 10GB ipod without locking
my system.

The ipod is a funny firewire device. You plug it in, and it reboots itself
into hard drive mode and looks like a firewire drive.

In order to disconnect the ipod, you have to first unmount it, and then remove the
sbp2 driver so that the ipod is "logged out of" by the firewire bus.

Is there anything intersting in /var/log/messages from when it locked up on you?

Regards,

Matthew Galgoci

--

Matthew Galgoci         "Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap"
System Administrator