On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Eric Hammersley wrote:

> Honestly the easiest way is to follow the same method RH uses in
> /etc/profile.  Add another 'pathmunge' after the last one in
> /etc/profile.  ie.
>
> pathmunge /your/path/here after
>
> Add the 'after' if you want it to add at the tail of the existing system
> path, leaving the 'after' off will add it at the front.  Just make sure
> you add the line prior to the unset pathmunge statement.
>
> Also, unless you want it to affect root only, make sure you don't add it
> within the "if [ 'id -u' = 0]; then" statement.

rather than mess with /etc/profile directly, if you look closely at
the bottom of that file, you'll notice a loop that invokes all of
the separate scripts of the form /etc/profile.d/*sh.

the /etc/profile.d directory is the ideal place to add an extra
customization layer on top of /etc/profile, rather than having
one ginormous, monolithic /etc/profile.

the other advantage to adding extra files there is that you
can just add symlinks so that, when you re-install or update over
the old system files, your customization files are preserved.

all my customization is implemented with

/etc/profile.d/rday.sh -> /home/rpjday/sys/rday.sh

rday