you will have to rebuild your initrd, as soon as the modules in your old
initrd wont load on your new kernel. depends on your config.

you can compile your kernel (have not looked into 2.5, but i would bet a
lot that this feature is in the new series too) with module-versions.
modules wont load, if there is some version-mismatch between kernel and
module.
you could use strings and grep to see the version:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /]$ strings /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o |grep kernel_version
kernel_version=2.4.9
kernel_version=2.4.20