On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 17:48, Matthew Richards wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the score is with USB and RedHat?
>
> I am using using 7.3 and am having a little difficulty with USB devices. I have
> followed the instructions in http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/book1.html with only
> partial success. I have also fooled around with /sbin/hotplug to no avail. I guess
> what I am most interested to know is whether or not using USB with RH73 is
> relatively simple like your average linux task, am I missing something?
>
> Also, I noticed that USB support is not enabled by default in my configuration (I
> run RH73 out of the box with only the @web server and @anonymous ftp server packages
> installed). To enable any sort of USB support I must insmod usbcore.o and
> usb-uhci.o. Is there a way of turning on USB support, like through the /proc file
> system?

RedHat 7.3 on Sony viao laptop:

I have had very little problem with usb.  I use a MS intellimouse and a
Dazzle flash reader with no problems .

I notice that the following line is in /etc/modules.conf

alias usb-controller usb-uhci

I think it was done automagically since I don't remember doing it.

HTH

Bret