On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 01:18:53PM +1000, TUPPEN Michael wrote:
[wondering about installing RH 8.0 or 9 on a new server]

Sorry this is so late (I am way behind in my e-mail), but I don't see
any other answers, so here is mine.

Your old server is Redhat 7.1 you say.  That suggests you might keep
this new server for a long time also.

Depending on the depth of your faith in firewalls, and if you might
keep this server for a long while too, you should consider Redhat's
"Enterprise Linux ES" because it will be supported with security
updates for a lot longer than any promises made for 8.0 or 9.  It
costs more, but you aren't buying beige hardware, maybe it isn't out
of line.

An old 7.3-based distribution might not be as much fun as 9, but this
is a server you are talking about.  It isn't supposed to be fun, it is
supposed to work.

-kb, the Kent who should be upgrading his own basement server soon,
and will go for budget and fun and probably install RH 9.