On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Sérgio Monteiro Basto wrote:

> Hi,
> 1st for windows works you just can have one primary partition active

Yes, preferably /boot (unless GRUB could live in the W2K partition and
still boot both OS's).

> 2nd for windows works you just can have 4 primary partition

Right.

> 3rd so I should have partition 1 with windows, partition 2 with ext3 44M
> /boot, partition 3 can't be windows (like FAT) and partition 4 should be
> the extended.

Right, but I want to keep the diagnostic and S2D partitions, and they need
to be primary too.  Total of four partitions that need to be primary
*plus* the extended.

> if you active partition 2 for boot, and install grub on that partition
> (like I do!) this lines will make windows thing that active partition is
> 1.
>
> title WindowsXP
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1

That's how I ran my old system, but it didn't have the diagnostic
partition.

> First You should partition the disk,
> after install the systems ,
>
> For installation of windows you may be prefer swap active bootable
> partition to 1, after installation you can put again in 2.
>
> Last thing swap active partition just can be done with fdisk or with
> partition magic something.
>
> PM7 when try correct LHsometing fuck up linux partition, but if you go
> to fdisk you can recover this same partition again.

Thanks, but my question was a bit more involved than this.